View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Introduction

Hey everybody I'm new to the forum. This seems to be one of the only forums that I can find that is fairly active on the subject of TOS so I figured I would sign up and tell you all a little about my history. In march of 2011 I started having aching pains in my left shoulder from out of nowhere and swelling in my arm, I went to a local clinic and was told it might be something vascular and that I needed to go to the ER immediately. After spending a long night in the ER and after an ultrasound they discovered a clot in my subclavian vein. I was promplty started on lovenox and coumadin and spent a week in the hospital, after which I was released and told to keep taking coumadin and follow up with my doctor. Fast foward to August 2011, I finally got an appointment with a vascular surgeon at UCLA medical center named Dr. Hugh Gelabert who has expertise in the area of TOS and Paget Schroetter's. After some exams I was diagnosed with Paget Schroetter's syndrome and told it was likely due to physical strain that had exacerbated the condition I already had and never knew. On Sept 29 2011 I went in for first rib resection surgery (transaxillary) and 2 weeks after had a venogram and venoplasty done on the subclavian vein. I am currently having some issues with the right side and am having a venogram done tomorrow to see if the same conditions exists there. If anybody has any questions in regards to the surgery, recovery, or any other related things I would be happy to answer them.

John