View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 05:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have found that keeping busy and distracted does indeed help, as does walking as much as possible. I have a complicated and progressive situation which creates pain and weakness in a large proportion of my arms and legs, and limits how much needlework I can do, which was one of my greatest pleasures in life. Despite this, my best days are ones where we get out and walk and when I spend time enmeshed in a project or book, and for the most part the pain is in the background, not a big part of my life. The disability asserts itself most on stairs and hills, or when trying to lift or carry a lot.
I would agree with the ideas about reinforcing pain. I live in a house with mostly oblivious males, so there is little feedback for complaining about hurting. My husband will do anything I need him to do, and he is my constant companion, but he doesn't fuss over me, my children are properly absorbed in thir own lives. I have a schedule for myself that includes the things I have to do and the things that are good for me and the things that I love, and I don't focus on the pain much at all. I take a low dose, 325/ 5 oxycodone once or twice a day in addition to the neurontin. It doen't fully cover the discomfort but it allows me to "get over it" and get on with my responsibilities, like laundry it is indispensable for car rides, something I have always loved, but which are now very painful.
Distraction, exercise, not letting it take over your thoughts and thereby your life, all great advice!
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote