View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

I agree with both Ginnie & Gerry.

There are cases where pain can be/is telegraphed to a site removed from where the underlying problem is. One example is sciatica, where a problem in/near the spine can cause pain further down the leg. Another is myofascial trigger points, where pain can be felt along the top of the shoulder and in the neck, but the cause is a muscle knot under the shoulder blade (I get that one too often), but this is a complex issue that has to be determined by experts who know how that process works.

In addition to an orthopedist, consideration might be given to bring a neurologist on your team. It will be difficult to get all these doctors to actually talk to each other - that would be rare. However, your PCP should act as coordinator (quarterback) of your "team". I posted a diagram of what a team might look like here.

I also agree with cancelling the prescription for the reasons stated. What you are seeking is not a second opinion; the terminology I have heard used is "transfer of care".

Best wishes,

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote