Thread: Vp shunt pain
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 02:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Draining into Intestine?

Oh my gosh, I didn't know they could do this!!! Why didn't my neurosurgeon tell me this was an option and do this to me? I would reabsorb enough in my abdomen directly, and had pain too. I had 3 revisions in a month because I kept backing up with too much fluid and my valve and tubing kept leaking and detaching with my LP shunt. Last week they took the whole thing out and gave me a VP shunt and ran it through a new incision in my chest, but it is still peritoneal....I hope I won't have this problem again?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu8104 View Post
Hi Glittergirl and Jaidee-X

I was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri 5 years ago and(or intercranial hypertension ICP) 4.5 years ago. I underwent surgery to have a VP shunt placed. 2 months later, I was back for a revision surgery due to abdominal paid, which was very severe. It turned out that the drainage tube that ran to my abdomen was blocked, and they did a revision to have it draining into my intestines. This can cause some problems, like diarrhea when the pressure is up and the shunt is working really hard. I haven't had any shunt problems since. The revision surgery was relatively minor and only took me 2 weeks to fully recover from. I was actually up and about later that day and released form the hospital the next day. I felt much better after having the surgery done. Good luck and I wish you both a speedy recovery!
barbaracoffing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote