View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camyam73 View Post
thanks Starr... seems we are both in Ontario too (barrie here)...

It's pretty tough to know how far to be able to push.... I certainly don't want a repeat of last week, or any other weeks where I had a resurgence of symptoms... but I get antsy sitting around doing nothing (which is the only thing guaranteed not to aggravate)....

Hopefully we will both find a way through.
I'm just west of Ottawa, but know the Barrie area very well. Used to vacation up that way.

I know for me, my doing "nothing" is still a fair bit. I have to drive my family members to and from the bus, make meals and clean up after (no dishwasher), look after my 2 dogs (I've not been able to walk them since the accident, but we have a large yard and my husband walks them when he's around in daylight hours) and keep my 3 goats fed and cleaned up after.

So on top of that, I try to only do one thing a day. If I need to go to the doctor, that's my one thing. If we need groceries or the truck needs to go in for servicing, that's it for the day. I also try to make Fridays and Mondays fairly easy days as I know I typically will overdo it on the weekend. (I find it difficult to nap when my family is home).

If I stick to my "one thing a day" plan, I do ok. I try to make time each day to nap, like get into bed and sleep, not just doze in a chair. Some days I'm ok with an hour, some days its 3 hours I need in order to keep going.

Its been not too stressful to limit, but as the weather improves, its harder, as I have many things I need and want to do. I was supposed to get 50 laying hens this spring, but I've put that on hold, just to limit my day to day obligations. I have fencing to install, etc etc. Difficult to be patient when so much awaits on our hobby farm.

I'm also on the fence about horse back riding, something I've done all my life and is my passion. I'm debating whether its worth the risk to start up again. That decision will wait until I'm healed, but in many ways, I'm already antsy to saddle up and get on with my life.

I agree with the people that say that the type A people tend to make better recoveries, because we're driven. But I can also see how a type A person's recovery could be a bit slower because we're always pushing the limits.

I'm starting to reach the point that I realize I have to forget who I WAS and don't worry about who I will be tomorrow, just deal with what I have right now and make the best of it. I wouldn't say its resignation... maybe acceptance?

Its certainly tricky stuff. Sorry to be so rambly. My whole point is that by pushing too far (and paying for it) is just the process of learning what we can and can't do. Testing our boundaries, I suppose.

Best of luck to you. It helps me to remember I'm not alone and you are not either.

Starr
"Starr" is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
camyam73 (04-26-2012)