Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin_joes_cbr View Post
Hey everybody I'm new to the forum. This seems to be one of the only forums that I can find that is fairly active on the subject of TOS so I figured I would sign up and tell you all a little about my history. In march of 2011 I started having aching pains in my left shoulder from out of nowhere and swelling in my arm, I went to a local clinic and was told it might be something vascular and that I needed to go to the ER immediately. After spending a long night in the ER and after an ultrasound they discovered a clot in my subclavian vein. I was promplty started on lovenox and coumadin and spent a week in the hospital, after which I was released and told to keep taking coumadin and follow up with my doctor. Fast foward to August 2011, I finally got an appointment with a vascular surgeon at UCLA medical center named Dr. Hugh Gelabert who has expertise in the area of TOS and Paget Schroetter's. After some exams I was diagnosed with Paget Schroetter's syndrome and told it was likely due to physical strain that had exacerbated the condition I already had and never knew. On Sept 29 2011 I went in for first rib resection surgery (transaxillary) and 2 weeks after had a venogram and venoplasty done on the subclavian vein. I am currently having some issues with the right side and am having a venogram done tomorrow to see if the same conditions exists there. If anybody has any questions in regards to the surgery, recovery, or any other related things I would be happy to answer them.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your TOS story. I do have some questions for you. I have a 16 year old with Venous TOS, just today we were given Dr. Gelabart's at UCLA. We are trying to decide who to go to for Surgery. Our choices are Dr. Sanders in Denver, Dr. Thompson in St. Louis or Dr. Gelabart at UCLA. How long was the surgery, are you happy with the outcome of the surgery? Have you been able to resume life where you left it. What is a venoplasty? Did they remove just the rib or was the muscle removed also? Did you have blood clots before the surgery? Sorry to ask so many questions, I am just so confused.
cwest is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote