View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaracoffing View Post
I can't believe your neuro allowed you to go back to work, was he crazy? You need at least 4 weeks to recoup if not 6! The reason you don't feel right is because you aren't fully healed! I had my VP surgery 2 weeks ago and am still in pain. I've had 4 LP shunt surgeries. I can't imagine going back to work now with the staples still in me. REST is what makes you better. You need recovery time until your shunt adjusts to the CSF fluid and balances out! Take another 2 weeks off AT LEAST so you don't end up back in the hospital You might have a different perspective after that! Think of it as a vacation and pick up a good book and rent some movies!
I think you bring up a good point here. When should we go back to work after these surgeries? I know all surgeries are different and I was always told I could do anything that I could "tolerate", which usually meant 2-3 days off work at the most. But then I always regret going back so soon because I pay for it the next day. What are average recovery times for a "basic" shunt revision? What do people think or what have people experienced? I think we downplay the recovery time because the procedure has become so routine for NSs and some of us as well. There was rarely times when I wasn't out of the hospital the day after surgery, but i've learned that just because I'm "well enough" to leave the hospital, doesn't mean I'm well enough to resume life at full speed. Recovery has been very variable as well in terms of pain. For instance, usually I have initial soreness at the incision that last maybe a week. My last procedure was done in December and I still have extreme scalp sensitivity and pain at the site of the incision. My doctor just diagnosed me with hyperalgesia (overactive nerves) yesterday. Thoughts?
annakkro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote