View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am so sorry you are going through this, my mom also had Alzheimers and multiple myeloma, I took care of her for a year and I know how rough it can be. How are they treating the myeloma, I think there are some newer treatments since my mom had it (she passed away in 2000).

Myeloma changes the blood chemistry and I think it makes any existing dementia worse, one thing that happens is red blood cells are crowded out by the cancerous plasma cells and that reduces the amount of oxygen to the brain which in itself can cause cognitive problems. Is she on oxygen and would she tolerate it if she isn't?

My mom had panic attacks too, I don't know if that is a characteristic of the disease, related to poor oxygenation, or the Alzheimers. She also refused to eat much, I gave her a 'dense nutrition' diet for awhile but eventually all she would take were things like a little watermelon that seemed to help the nausea. There are meds for nausea that hellp some.

Is she advanced enough to have bone pain and is she on medication for that? The medication can cause nausea and if she isnt on meds she might be having pain. Its really difficult to separate what behavior is due to dementia ( nighttime agitation in Alzheimers is characteristic and called 'sundowning') and what may be due to pain. Sometimes elderly people dont exactly know they are in pain and become agitated instead.

As I said, I don't know what treatment she is getting but I would ask the doctor about oxygenation and nausea and pain treatment and what the myeloma prognosis for the near future is. I had a hard time keeping O2 on my mom at first, she kept calling the provider and telling them to come and pick it up when I was in the shower, etc. but she did eventually tolerate it.

I'd hope you can move her closer to you as well but that change might be also be difficult for her. What is the doctor saying about all of this? Does she have a home health nurse? That might provide some insight too.

judi
zygopetalum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote