View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Some answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwest View Post
Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your TOS story. I do have some questions for you. I have a 16 year old with Venous TOS, just today we were given Dr. Gelabart's at UCLA. We are trying to decide who to go to for Surgery. Our choices are Dr. Sanders in Denver, Dr. Thompson in St. Louis or Dr. Gelabart at UCLA. How long was the surgery, are you happy with the outcome of the surgery? Have you been able to resume life where you left it. What is a venoplasty? Did they remove just the rib or was the muscle removed also? Did you have blood clots before the surgery? Sorry to ask so many questions, I am just so confused.
cwest,
I'm sorry to hear your teen was diagnosed with this so young, I will try to answer your questions as best I can. The surgery was just under 4 hours from the time they wheeled me away until I was out of recovery. They did the rib resection and scalenectomy, while they are in there they can get a better idea of the associated structures that are causing the restriction(fiberous bands etc) and go from there. I did have the blood clot before surgery, before that my symptoms had not been severe enough for me to think anything was really wrong. I have been able to resume all of the activities I was able to do before I got the clot like lifting weights etc, and I have full range of motion. The only lasting effects from the surgery have been a very small spot right behind my armpit and the incision site are still numb but I don't even notice them. In regards to the venoplasty, two weeks after surgery I went back for a venogram to check blood flow and while they are checking they use a balloon on the end of a catheter to expand any of the scarred areas of the subclavian vein that are still slightly restricted. All in all I can say I am very happy with the results and would recommend Dr. Gelabert from my own personal experience. I hope these answers are helpful, if you have more please feel free to ask. I wish all the best for you and your family.

John
smokin_joes_cbr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nospam (09-15-2012)