View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

After I met Dr. Arthur Ando, he helped me understand why my previous attempts at PT only made me worse. Here is his 5-Step Functional Approach to Phyiscial Therapy:

STEP 1: True Source Evaluations. Finding the root problem is the 1st and most important Step. Our training as CFMTs allows us to look beyond just what is painful or what has been assessed by x-rays.

STEP 2: Skilled Joint Mobilization. Getting the joints to move is a critical step in regaining mobility and preparing the body to exercise successfully.

STEP 3: Skilled Muscle and Nerve Mobilization. Hands-on manual therapy to muscles and nerves decreases pain and completes the body's preparation for exercise.

STEP 4: Therapeutic Exercise. Neuromuscular re-education through individualized exercises is the 4th Step. Core strengthening in spine cases uses time-honored methods such as Pilates. All patients are trained in their home exercise program, receive them in writing or video format, and are encouraged to do them responsibly.

STEP 5: Body Control Training. Education and training in posture and body mechanics is the 5th and final Step. This allows patients to regain basic functions such as pain-free sitting, walking and lifting or, if a patient desires, more vigorous activities like gardening or sports. Patients that understand how to use their body safely and efficiently in functional activities have the best chance of maintaining their health and lifestyle of choice.

ACDF C5-C6-C7 2/28/11

nospam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote