View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 12:03 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Migraines - getting by on a prayer for now

Preventative medications do not work the same for everyone. It often takes a lot of trial and error to find the right one. I have been unsuccessful in finding a migraine preventative medication that doesn't cause intolerable side effects. I have been on topamax, inderol and lamictal. Couldn't tolerate the side effects of any of them so for now, I am dealing with the headaches as they come and taking a rescue medication as needed. Honestly, I am burnt out dealing with this health condition. It is really hard to accept that I have to live with it. I hope someday I can find something that will actually work to prevent the headaches that will also allow me to be functional. Side effects such as severe drowsiness, memory impairment, and diahrea are not what I would consider 'tolerable'. I could not continue to work and function while on these meds.

I will be starting a new job next week and I am fearful of how my employer will react when I miss work due to migraines. It's inevitable that absences will occur so I will have to tell my boss at some point. I will not be eligible to use FMLA protection until I have worked there for a year. I pray that the stress that comes with starting a new job will not trigger too many migraines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migraine Away View Post
Hello- I just joined site this to address your post. *edit*

As you know, migraines are a chronic disabling disorder. Guidelines from the experts are clear that anyone with two or more debilitating headaches a month, as well as anyone with significant neurologic complications or a prolonged headache that responds poorly to acute treatment (like Imitrex, Relpax, etc) should be on preventive measures. Prevention is poorly encouraged!

*edit*

I always tell patients the ABCDEF- Apnea(sleep), biofeedback(relaxation), Caffeine (avoid), Diet (regular healthy eating), Exercise, and Fluids(>50 oz).
Often not discussed is the fact that several natural supplements are approved as level A recommended prevention choices. These include B2(riboflavin, Magnesium and Feverfew. THere is good data on Co Q 10 as well. I had compounded this through pharmacies for patients for years *edit* I will take off my salesman hat and suggest you review all information about prevention, from lifestyle to supplements to prescription meds through a doc. Getting comtrol of your migraines makes all the difference.

Stay well!
Sally Mae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote