View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Im glad you are thinking BEFORE they pump you full of whatever drugs are on the list. Even before I allow my MD to give me an aspirin I am careful to find out why, what for, and how long? Will it help? what are the side effects?

Is it that you are afraid of needles? side effects? depression? Please know the auto injector makes it so you almost never see the needle. They have meds for depression that work well in most cases. Do you think it wont matter if you do or dont take the meds? PLEASE read read read and read some more, before you make the choice.

Most of the DMDs if you read the hand outs say they have no idea how this med works, nor do they know the long term effects it has on a body. The studies that are done are sponsored by the drug companies themselves.

That being said. I chose to take Betaseron when I first started my journey. I was left with more questions than answers, but I took it anyway. 4 months later my liver function studies were so bad I set a clinic record. I started naturopathic stuff and demanded to get a wash out period before starting the next drug. I went on Copaxone, and stayed on it for about 4 years. it was ok in the early days, but about year 2 I couldnt think, I was exhausted. I had HUGE dents in my fat pads where I was shooting this med. I switched from auto injector to manual shots. I tried heat, ice, massage, no massage, oils, no oils, and in the end I was so spent I decided to take a DMD (disease modifying drug) holiday. After 1 week, my energy started to return, my brain fog started to clear. At week 2 I had enough energy to start walking again, and have sense enough to prepare meals and meal plan. I laid down the needles and havent looked back.

Now, that being said, you put yourself at a risk of more frequent attacks from the disease, and if you have these attacks they can be longer and stronger than if you were on one of these meds. Is this the attack that will get your optic nerve? or take your ability to balance? steal your words?

If you are going to chose a different path, please dont just sit back and chew on bad food, never exercise or sit and wait for this disease to come get you. Eat great food! walk at least a half hour EVERY day. Even in the rain, the snow, the tornado weather. it keeps your blood pumping and your brain healing. do mental puzzles, or things that keep your mind engaged. Sew, puzzles, games on the computer. Read! if your eyes are bad, ask your local library about audio books. Most have an online selection to listen to.

Many of us chose to take the meds, and while some have almost no side effects, some shoot thru the pain. Others say ENOUGH! and drop their needles in favor of more natural options. PLEASE speak to your MD about both sides of the fence. Do some research. Know what you are asking for, and in the end please know that no matter which lane you choose, it can be changed. If you choose no meds, you can always change your mind. if you choose meds and they are too much, you can always change your mind. Even tho I had a HUGE attack that made me blind for months I still dont think I could go back to being on the DMDs. i was just too sick. In the end, the choice is yours.

Let us know what you find out, and what you decide.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (05-06-2012), Shadiyah (04-27-2012), Twinkletoes (04-29-2012)