View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchlake View Post
Pamela,

Your question is one that has been asked many times. While treatment of many conditions is unique to that individual, it REALLY is unique with CRPS. I have done quite a bit of research on it.

Many doctors will initially prescribe neurontin (gabapentin is generic for it) and then go from there. That is what my podiatrist did for the CRPS in my foot.

The gabapentin works reasonably well for me, but I will agree that there is a bit of brain fog. It has cleared some over time, but I still am not as sharp as I was before I started taking it. I now make lists every morning to help me remember things!

The doctor tried weaning me off of the gabapaentin to see how well it really was working and boy did we find out in a hurry that it IS working! So back on it and the pain was definitely much better controlled. I take gabapentin, amitriptyline and trazadone (for mood/sleep). And another VERY important medication for me is naproxen. Oftentime docs will prescribe the 500 mg version of this drug for inflammation and pain, but to save a few bucks....I just take two of the 220 mg of generic naproxen sodium available anywhere. I take 440 mg twice a day (always take naproxen with food and long term under doctors order) So that is my meds cocktail. It took me a year to develop this meds mix and while I would never rule out experimenting with Lyrica, etc.......as you always wonder if the grass is greener on the other side, for now I'll stick with what is working relatively well.

So there is no definitive answer. Sometimes you have to experiment a bit, which isn't fun, but if it results in better pain control, it's worth the effort.
Keeping a pain journal and notes about what works/what doesn't is definitely a good idea so you have some "history" to refer to as you work through this roller coaster ride.

Good luck to you and keep us updated!
hey birch lake... just some info u may like I took napraxen too and yes u r right eat first but it still caused me problems. so my PM put me on vimovo with is basically napraxen and nexium in one. I hope that helps...
Pamela I hope these responses show how different each of us is ..ie treatment and what works and what doesn't . all we can do is tell u how it works for us so like catra said search for your ideal treatment but use caution. know the drugs pros and cons first then ask the dr what they are hoping for with that drug and a journal will only help.
painman2009 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lupus777 (05-03-2012)