View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Question Atenolol?

Should atenolol be added to this list/thread?

I came across this snippet by accident this morning...
Quote:
Some evidence suggests that even in normal doses the most frequently used β-blockers carry an unacceptable risk of provoking type 2 diabetes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atenolol
...which got me to so I searched the PN forum(s) and only found that several people here with PN (besides myself) have taken atenolol.

Going to google, I find some hits, but nothing really concrete. There's one site that pops up several times, but IME, they tend to link everything as a cause for everything (I think just to get hits on their site for advertisers?)

Checking my own records, I stopped taking atenolol (for migraine prophylaxis) around the time my PN manifested, but have no recollection nor notes suggesting any connection at that time.

My mental processing runs this way: If atenolol were to cause Type II diabetes (or interfere in some way with feeding peripheral nerves) which in turn begat PN, and then the atenolol were stopped, might the diabetes remit (failing to manifest on subsequent tests for diabetes) yet the damage to nerves having been done... Follow?

Anything's possible; I'm just not finding anything obvious on Pubmed (and not literate enough in medicalese to translate) or elsewhere credible.

If nothing is found it might make sense to delete this post to avoid any confusion.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote