Thread: Normal EMG's
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 05:05 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes thank you Alice, I was an extraordinarily healthy person before pregnancy with incredible stamina & strong muscles, I wouldn´t recognize my doctor if I passed him on the street! Muscle weakness really started gradually one year after childbirth....actually in the deltoids whilst changing diapers! This snowballed to a high peak 3 years later. Antibiotics in the blood stream for most of 2009 did not help matters very much at all. And with each returning´flare up´during those 3 years a muscle would perform less well and fatigue much faster each time. And also with each flare up a new set of muscles would also be affected. The last flare up lasted 3 months escalating to a point where I could no longer hold up a drink to my child for longer than 2 seconds. Just one increment more and I would have needed help brushing my teeth at bedtime. I also lost that anacrusis that comes just before executing any movement, and no one really knows exactly what that is until they´ve actually lost it……

The gross motor´remission´ as I call it came immediately after this peak and it took all of 5 days. On the first day I could not lift a pillow without being out of breath and by the 5th day I could manage to carry a 10 kilo boom box. I got a little over excited and decided to use a lawn mower after 2 weeks. Well the deltoid muscles ended up feeling like two broken sticks with tape around them being pushed from both ends at the same time. Today they look really skinny and everyone notices. (Biceps are quite pronounced)
The fine motor skill ´remission´ is taking much much longer. Only a month ago did I change bedsheets for the first time in 4 years!! (Grasping a duvet then manipulating the pillow into its cover is quite the chore!)

The reason I wasn´t seen by anyone before remission is that my doctor diagnosed me with psychosomatic fatigue syndrome (and so I was determined I would be able to fix that with my own mind); the psychiatrist thought it was drug induced; the physiotherapist thought it was neurological and the neurologist (who could only give me an appointment 5 days after the sudden remission) thought pretty much that I was lazy and should just use my muscles more
I ended up wasting a lot of time researching other countries and then traveling abroad to find knowledgeable neurologists thinking all the while that at any given moment all my symptoms would return. Anyway if I would have traveled during worst peak then I would have literally folded over onto the floor in the check-in line with weak trunk muscles.

It seemed as though gross motor went into sudden significant remission last May but the dreadfully laborious breathing in afternoons and bulbar problems (which may have started after a trigger finger operation January 2011) had a separate life; lingering on many months afterwards with the use of sedatives until the challenge doses 3 months ago which put a full stop to all medication.

Since the point of the thread was about negative SFEMG´s. It was interesting that my revered neurologist abroad wanted to actually reanalyze my already negative SFEMG performed by another neurophysiologist…as he put it himself...´to look for any individual escapee myasthenic signals.´

Thank you for this helpful and fascinating information, Alice. I´m feeling much closer to closure now.
I´ve recently felt inspired to write a paper called ´The effectiveness of brain rewiring in fluctuating diseases´…..but may start with another version …....´The effectiveness of brain rewiring during fluctuating diagnosis´

Sending good energy to anyone who might read this.......
Anacrusis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote