View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Jenib.

You have already got a lot of great information from EsthersDoll. As has been alluded to by others, you are very early in your recovery. Something you may want to check is your hormone levels. mTBI can play havoc with hormones. You sound like you may be living with PMS except not just during PMS times. This can magnify the emotional lability symptom of PCS.

Something nobody has mentioned is simple for you to address. You need to seriously reduce any visual and auditory stimuli. This means things like too many papers on the refrigerator door, too many background sounds in your house, the kids making too much noise and/or talking quickly or at the same time. Voices are a strain on the brain. When there are more than one voice, the brain can go berserk.

If you live where you can take walks outdoors away from civilized noises, you will likely find them to be very good at helping you settle down. I do my best late at night because the world quiets down. No car noise, no people noise, etc. It is amazing how faint background noises can be stressful.

It will be a big help if you can get your kids on your team. They can change their behaviors so that you have less stimulation. You will be surprised how even very young kids can play a big part in helping you recover. Whether it is just keeping their stuff cleaned up and put away, helping with laundry so clothes are always put away, speaking in soft voices and doing anything to reduce the stress and stimulation load in your house. Your husband needs to help with this too.

If you kids are young, you can explain that your brain hurts. And, when it gets noisy, your brain hurts more. This is not to be described like a head ache. If they have a sore ankle or knee, it hurts worse if they try to use it. This is how your brain is. We are the invisible wounded. Just because we do not have a visible limp, bruise, or bandage does not mean out injury is any less damaging.

You probably should not go grocery shopping unless there is a 24 hour grocery store so you can go late at night when there are fewer people around.

Multi-tasking is a definite No-No. Research shows that multitasking is detrimental to even healthy brains.

Get a pad of post-it notes so you can put reminders in places where they are appropriate.

You can help your husband understand by watching the "You Look Great" video series on YouTube. Here is a link to the first of 6 segments. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Xso...ature=youtu.be All six take about an hour.

A simple way to explain to other what is happening in your brain is this. Your brain is like a 6 or 8 lane highway but you only have one lane working and even it has lots of potholes. Information/stimulation get caught in a massive traffic jamb and it can cause you to get frustrated, angry, or confused or all three.

So, you need rest and quiet for the near future. As was mentioned before, the longer you can go without symptoms, the more you brain can heal. Every time you overload and have a crisis, you will lose some of the healing value of good days you may have accumulated. Keep in mind that sometimes you may feel good and be tempted to get busy.

Don't give in to the temptation. Keep doing what you have been doing to have those good days. Overdoing it may not cause a return of symptoms until the next day. This will be very confusing but will work like clockwork. Have a good day, get busy and still feel good then wake up the next day feeling like a space cadet.

Feel free to tell us of your struggles. There are lots of knowledgeable people here. But, please help us by using lots of paragraph spaces. Many of us struggle to follow from one line to the next if the paragraph is more than 5 or 6 lines long.

I almost forgot. You should stay away from caffeine, alcohol, MSG, and artificial sweeteners.

Since you are in Colorado, I know some people struggling with dementia in Colorado who have used medicinal marijuana to help with their anger. There are some drugs that can also help but they are usually benzos which are contraindicated for PCS. A marijuana cookie from time to time may help. I am normally opposed to anything like marijuana except that I know that it has helped so much for others. You would want to use the minimum amount to just take the edge off your anger.

And, don't forget to get your hormones checked. Here is a referral link to hormone help if you need one. https://www.womensinternational.com/..._referral.html Most doctors use a broad shotgun approach. You need a targeted approach.

btw, You should print out this post and EsthersDolls post so you and read it at your leisure.

And, don't forget that you can have your husband post here to get some support. He will benefit from the support available here.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kwaddington (04-28-2012)