View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 01:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you for the reply Stephen. The muscle spasms in my neck/ jaw are really bad, and...

Yesterday I woke up with a locked jaw. I was sure it couldn't be the RSD... I guess I was just trying not to get paranoid here... and I could not get my mouth open. This had been happening very slightly here and there this past week, but I didn't think much of it because my brother has some jaw problems (popping/ clicking/ locking for a minute), and I figured it was nothing.

I called my Dentist, and the receptionist told me it was probably just an infection, and that I could come in.

When I went to the dentist, the hygenist looked at my jaw first, and she was sure that I had TMJ, and she said "You have TMJ, don't you?". I told her that I have never had any jaw problems before this, and then she started messing with my jaw, trying to get me to open my mouth more. The more she messed with my jaw the worse it felt, and she soon gave up.

I could open it about 1 inch, and then the muscle spasms got so bad that I could only open it 1/2 inch. The hygenist got my dentist in the room, and the dentist (actually!!) knew what RSD was, so she looked at my mouth and she told me it was the muscle spasms from RSD, and that the muscle spasms caused my jaw to lock up. Her words were "I think your condition has just spread up into your face". Exactly the words I didn't want to hear! But I know that it is true- with spasms, slight swelling, and allodynia.

My dentist told me to take Flexeril to calm the spasms down so that I can open my mouth soon! I have taken 3 doses of it so far, and I can still only open it 1/2 inch, but hopefully soon the muscle relaxers will work. My dentist also told me to try heat on it, and that if I had more problems she'll refer me to an ortho surgeon. But... it's just the RSD. No infection, and I should be able to open my mouth soon (though not without RSD pain all in my jaw/ face now).

My dentist told me to eat foods I can "drink"- yogurt, applesauce, soup, shakes, etc. that I don't have to chew.

Allodynia is setting in in my face, and my Dr told me to "touch it, move it, use it"- chew gum (once I can open my jaw better)/ suck on something, so that the allodynia doesn't get really out of hand fast.
InHisHands is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote