View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
How about for the last 30 years or so???
Speaking from experience. I believe it helps to have a broader outlook when dealing with these tricky health issues.
So many problems have the same or similar symptoms, so you won't know what works until you try it.
I hope you are getting good treatment.
Treatment has been hit or miss.
23.5 years and counting. I think my outlook has been really broad, including but not limited to changing pillows, doing Physical therapy, accupressure, accupuncture. pills, surgery, Botox, blah, blah, blah, blah blah and the like. It is a real disservice to tell people who are facing a life time of pain that a simple pillow change is going to be salvation, that is what people are looking for when the come to the forums, salvation from pain. They want hope. Each treatment failure snatches away hope. It is better I think, to be pretty blunt about it. That treatment is hit or miss. That a person with cranial neuralgias are in for a very long hard haul. Why sugar coat it. It is what it is. Miserable. Yeah, maybe a different pillow will help. Maybe if one thinks enough good thoughts or prays hardenough, that will help, I think mostly a placebo effect.

People, if you have been diagnosed with a cranial neuralgia. IT SUCKS! Plain and simple. You are going to have to change your acceptance of pain to a new normal. and be ready to explain over and over and over that what is severe pain to the general population is just ordinary pain for you. And you'll have to explain that to the experts in the field who think that they have seen every thing.

What used to be your threshold of "10=kill me now" before your neuralgia might be a good day in your new world. Drug choices don't work for everyone equally, what works for your sister, brother, neighbor, someone you met on line who found salvation with X drug, may not even phase your pain.

I don't say that out of cruelty, but experience. This is not easy. Its not fun. There are no easy answers or quick relief. Most of the relief comes from mental adjustment to the new normal. I can't sit here and say...oh just take this pill or that one...or change this in your life and it will all be better. It probably won't.

I lead a pretty dang good life. but my pain is by no means controlled by the meds and my routine. I am willing at anytime to switch it up in search of a new hope.
windrivermaiden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EE03 (04-30-2012), Mist8012 (08-05-2012)