View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 03:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default another idea

I have had issues similar, although I have kept mine from locking up so far.

I've had mine checked by my dentist, my neuro, my ortho, rheumy, and most recently an Ear Nose and Throat.

I must say that my RSD is currently active in my left shoulder, left arm, and both shoulder blades as the worst areas, with my original area of my right foot following close behind. Then, it spread up my neck, and does include my left jawline, goes across my upper back and now includes my right shoulder and right arm, but it not as bad as the left side. About 3/4 of my back is involved. Also my left big toe has had it for about 6 months. Recently, my right finger tip has been pretty bad... as well as my right knee. Only my right foot (the original site) and my left upper quadrant are really really bad.

I don't take narcotics except the occasional vicoden when the barometric pressure plumets... maybe 2 or 3 a month... but I do take topamax, calcitonin nasal spray (wonderful for the deep down pain of RSD), topical ketamine/lodocain cream, lidoderm patches, two kinds of blood pressure meds, baclofen, and sometimes ultram. Plus a handful of vitamens and herbs. Even taking all of this, I am left in quite a bit of pain... I clench my teeth a lot. I have broken corners off many of my teeth... I think 6 or7 in the last year and a half. I now do some excercises for loosening up my face to help. I try really hard not to tighten my face up during the day, but found that when I wake up at night, my jaws were clenched and very painful.

I've been tested for TMJ, and everyone thinks this is not TMJ.... but complications from constantly being in pain. The solution for me has been taking more baclofen at night.... now I take 30mg .... (better sleep now too!!) and having my massage therapist treat my mouth and jaws. She has made a world of difference.

If you have never had a massage therapist treat you for jaw pain... it's a bit odd. She puts on gloves and puts her fingers in your mouth.... and starts working the knots out of the muscles. It can be pretty painful as she presses on the spasms, but as they relax it feels so good. It only takes a few minutes and it does me so much good. It is so strange till you get used to it.

I tell you -- without my massage therapist I do not think I would be walking like I do, or still be working or even getting better. She is just amazing. Of all the things I have done or tried for RSD, she is the ONE thing that has really worked.

The doctor I saw at the Cleveland clinic said that their research has shown that massage therapy started early on with RSD can prevent the sensitivity. She encourages people to go to massage, but since so few insurance companies cover massage, few people will go. I did not have sensitivity the first time I had RSD, or this time... and I started going to massage for the injury that caused the RSD almost immediately.... so I am a firm believer that it has made a huge difference for me. It may be that I just have an outstanding massage therapist though.. I don't know.

So, if you have not given this a try.... I do think it may be worth it. It certainly makes my jaws feel better. Mine get so bad, I can't eat solid food - and I could never chew gum. My teeth hurt so BAD when it is in a flare!! YIKES!!!! But, with the extra muscle relaxer at night, and the regular massage now, it is starting to go away. My teeth hardly bother me now, and my jaws are really getting better. Whew! I was starting to really worry about needing dentures soon, as many teeth as I was breaking.

good luck!
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote