View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 01:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

*hugs* to you EsthersDoll.

I'm so sorry you've suffered a set back. I totally get the feeling of injustice at what's happened and being angry about it.

I'm sorry your boyfriend let you down on helping to communicate what you needed. That must be very disappointing and if it happened to me, I would feel very alone and unsupported. *hug*

I also understand difficult parents. Mine live about 6 hours away and I've not seen them since my accident. They are supposed to come visit for a weekend in 3 - 4 weeks (oops, I forget!) and honestly, I'm dreading it. (more than usual! and I only see them twice a year because of the distance.)

Because my accident happened while horseback riding and that is something they've been dead set against since I started when I was 7, I did not even tell them about the accident until 2 weeks later. There were a couple phone conversations in which I spent all my energy trying to sound normal. Very difficult and stressful and honestly, I don't really remember the conversations... maybe they thought I was on drugs or something?

When I did finally tell them what happened their reaction was to yell at me and tell me that at 40 years of age, I had no business riding horses, because its for children. I did snap at them about that and since then they are afraid to ask me how I am. I would be ok with telling them about how I feel, but I don't care to be lectured about the dangers of riding or how ridiculous it is, etc etc.

They've asked a few times if they should delay their visit and I've said no (would rather get it over with!) but I've also said that this visit may be different from other ones.

Generally when they come I cook 3 meals a day, with supper being a borderline feast. I also clean up and have no dishwasher. My husband will help, but someone also has to entertain them while I'm busy, so I usually do it all. When they go home, I sleep for about 3 days and that was BEFORE my accident!!

I have warned them that we may do simpler things and that I may need to take a break and lie down while they are here. They are unhappy about this and have said they may delay their trip until I'm well enough to do it like I normally do!!

I've told them to just let me know a day or two before they come, they can decide if they want to visit with us or just eat our food!

If, as a group, we didn't have so many food sensitivities and special diets (my daughter and I are gluten free, my mother has stage 4 kidney disease, diabetes and has had a 6 way bypass heart surgery) I would just order up pizza for each meal while they were here!

Anyhow, take it easy, get some rest, look after YOU... Make yourself your priority... very hard to do... not advice I find easy to follow, but I try to keep reminding myself about it.

Starr
"Starr" is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (04-30-2012)