View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 04:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face We are back 4 yrs Post Concussion

My daughter is 4 yrs 3 mos post concussion. She is 18. It happened at 13. I haven't posted in probably 2 years. We were busy doing Neuro-Feedback treatments in Dallas based on the QEEG Brain Map with BrainMaster and Z-score training. She has completed 212 treatments as of December 2011. She has had improvements across the board. She has not had another seizure since starting the treatments. She has less headaches and less severe headaches. She recovers faster. She can tolerate up to one hour of noise depending on the acoustics and the tone of the voices. She can now read for 20 minutes and then rest 30 and repeat 4x and then she is done with that for the day. Barometric pressure changes also still can give her migraines. She takes Magnesium and believes that helps her. So her life is still very limited and affected by the PCS symptoms but it is much more bearable. Before she had a constant daily headache and it was just a matter of time before it was bad enough to lie down and be done for the day. She no longer has the constant daily headache or the fatigue she had everyday. She had no improvements with various therapies the first 2.5 years prior to NFB treatments. She recently began vision therapy but it has been spiking migraine headaches. They are trying to cut back and accommodate her but she is just really sensitive. We are looking into Associated Neurologist in Danbury, CT who does a combination of physical therapy (exercises), massage therapy, acupuncture and vestibular therapy. Evidently the number of concussions is exploding and finally someone has put together a center of one stop therapies. It is actually on my insurance. Miracles do happen. I am also looking into University of Pittsburgh Dr. Michael Collins has a center for treatment of concussions for all the professional athletes. He does extensive vestibular (balance) testing. This relates I think to all concussions. It is how you are perceiving the world that is off or out of balance. I think like wearing the wrong glasses (not your eyes) but your brain. I met someone in vision therapy who is 2 yrs post concussion and she was tested by Dr. Collins and completed the therapy and believes it has helped her greatly. Her symptoms are very similar to my daughters and she is able to do college part-time and live there. She is also on amantadine which Dr. Collins recommends. She believes that is healing her brain. She was a gymnast who hit her head. My daughter's balance would pass a neurologist testing. But she complains of dizziness, pressure in her head and spaciness at times. So this qualifies her for the testing. Hello to Mark in Idaho and PCSMOM.
LindaMartino27 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote