View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

glasshead,

This vague reference in the link has been mentioned before. I am interested in deeper understanding. There is a tendency to get stuck in circular logic where there is never a starting point to the claims.

I know that antibiotics can reduce inflammation from osteo-arthritis by reducing the inflammation thought to be caused by minor infections in the damaged arthritic tissue.

If amantadine shows a difference in children but not adults, could it be that the adults have stronger, more developed immune systems that lessen the benefit of an anti-viral med?

The best I could find is this:

<Mechanism of Action: Parkinson's Disease
The mechanism of action of amantadine in the treatment of Parkinson's disease and drug-induced extrapyramidal reactions is not known. Data from earlier animal studies suggest that SYMMETREL may have direct and indirect effects on dopamine neurons. More recent studies have demonstrated that amantadine is a weak, non-competitive NMDA receptor antagonist (Ki = 10µM). Although amantadine has not been shown to possess direct anticholinergic activity in animal studies, clinically, it exhibits anticholinergic-like side effects such as dry mouth, urinary retention, and constipation.>

Other research suggests that anticholinergic meds should be avoided for PCS.

The comments about amantadine shows the improvements are marginal. I wonder if prescribing amantadine is more of a feel good effort that real therapeutic value. At least the patient will have less risk of contracting influenza A.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote