View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default The things you learn!

I learned a lot considering how early it was and the fact I'm not religious. lol Mind boggling stuff.

When I was looking at info. about using 2 chalices I found so much, ancient and modern. I also just found a document mentioned in many Roman Catholic sites regarding Communion where a Cardinal called Joseph Ratzinger, gives special permission for the use of gluten free wafers and also of mustum, which I think is grape juice, instead of wine. That was in 1994. Apparently they sometimes use 2 chalices ... one with wine and one with grape juice. That Cardinal of course went on to be Pope Benedict XVI.

http://www.adoremus.org/CDF_Lowgluten-mustum94.html

I. Concerning permission to use low-gluten altar breads:

A. This may be granted by ordinaries to priests and laypersons affected by celiac disease, after presentation of a medical certificate.

B. Conditions for the validity of the matter:

1) Special hosts "quibus glutinum ablatum est" [that are gluten-free] are invalid matter for the celebration of the Eucharist.

2) Low-gluten hosts are valid matter, provided that they contain the amount of gluten sufficient to obtain the confection of bread, that there is no addition of foreign materials and that the procedure for making such hosts is not such as to alter the nature of the substance of the bread.

II. Concerning permission to use mustum:

A. The preferred solution continues to be communion per intinctionem [Communion by intinction], or in concelebration under the species of bread alone.

B. Nevertheless, the permission to use mustum can be granted by ordinaries to priests affected by alcoholism or other conditions which prevent the ingestion of even the smallest quantity of alcohol, after presentation of a medical certificate.

C. By "mustum" is understood fresh juice from grapes or juice preserved by suspending its fermentation (by means of freezing or other methods which do not alter its nature).

D. In general, those who have received permission to use mustum are prohibited from presiding at concelebrated Masses. There may be some exceptions however: in the case of a bishop or superior general; or, with prior approval of the ordinary, at the celebration of the anniversary of priestly ordination or other similar occasions. In these cases the one who presides is to communicate under both the species of bread and that of mustum, while for the other concelebrants a chalice shall be provided in which normal wine is to be consecrated.

E. In the very rare instances of laypersons requesting this permission, recourse must be made to the Holy See.

Have a good day. I've got to stop reading!
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote