View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 02:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Kim,

Sometimes I use a comments like, " It sounds like fun but I don't think it is worth me having to struggle if I get over-whelmed."

Something you may not have noticed. Do you have problems with vertical movements of your head? I get in trouble if I am bobbing up and down as in walking around the yard pulling and picking up weeds. If I lean over to reach the grass, I can have problems after a few ups and downs. If I squat to reach the ground, I usually do better. I also struggle with too much side to side head movements. I have learned to turn my shoulders to look side to side. It appears the shoulder movement slows the speed of head rotation.

I learned this cleaning up the back yard after my dogs. It could leave me a space cadet. And, it was not dizziness like the therapist suggested. It was cognitive confusion.

Just in case, The comment that works best for me at group gatherings is, "The part of my brain that is supposed to filter out all the extraneous sounds and voices so I can focus on just one voice does not work properly due to my injury. This makes it so my brain tries to listen to and process all of the sounds around me at the same time."

Most people do not know that their brains are filtering out so much sound.

This helps them understand how to try to accommodate your needs.

My best to you.
Thanks Mark!

Yes, I have trouble with head movements, but it's been getting better overall. I don't know the specifics of the head movements that give me trouble like you do; I hope mine will continue to improve before I need to understand the specifics. I tend to keep still as much as possible. I get dizzy like your therapist suggested more than have an increase in cognitive impairments from it, but if it continues long enough, then additional cognitive impairments and speech problems ensue.

I've been thinking of going and getting the vision evaluation Eowyn had success with. I haven't really been able to afford it, but it looks like I might have some "extra" cash at the end of this month. I put the term "extra" in quotes because I've really amassed a very uncomfortable amount of debt as a result of this injury and it's a difficult decision between paying some debt down or using it on therapy that might help me improve. I think I'm leaning towards vision evaluation at this point.

I've tried to explain about the filtering thing to my parents before and did so again after the awful snafu on Saturday. They really have trouble remembering all the details and understanding them and when I'm overwhelmed I have a lot of trouble communicating because my thoughts are jumbled and fatigue tends to increase word-finding difficulty and speech problems.

I think that the effects of an injured brain are very difficult for someone whose never had to deal with them personally to understand. I've been trying to figure out a way to communicate the finer details to someone who has no idea what it's like. I think it's important for our society that people understand what concussion victims experience. I've read that because our auto safety increases, there will be less deaths from auto accidents, but more head injuries to have to recover from and that's alarming to me given the current level of understanding that the average person and average Dr. has of brain injuries.

Luckily, I'm doing better today than I was since Saturday. I just need more rest. (The biggest problem I face right now is that: I don't want to rest! I don't want to pace myself! I don't want to have to deal with a setback! I want to be normal again! Right now!) I expect that I'll continue to improve as I rest over the next couple of weeks. That was a huge setback for me - and it's just very disappointing. Luckily, I have more cognitive faculties than I did over the last few days which enable me to better handle it.

I'm just still very impatient with the process of recovering. Presently, I need to be more conscious that it's going to take more time... and that the more patient I can be, the better I'm going to feel and therefore do while it's happening. Being patient through this recovery has been a constant challenge for me. I do better with it, when I'm better rested. When I get tired, any patience I may have goes right out the window. (That insight would be a good thing for me to remember when I'm tired!)

It also probably didn't help that I canceled my weekly therapy session in order to "celebrate" on Saturday. I swear my therapist has been like a lifeboat for me during this ordeal. I'll see her this weekend and she'll help me wrap my wounds and I'll feel better after that too. ::sigh::
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
"Starr" (05-01-2012)