View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Welcome!

Hello Roy, you have definitely come to the right place! There are quite a few knowledgeable and strong people who can give you tons of advice!

I wrote a bit, so if it helps, print this out and read chunks at a time...(advice I picked up from others)

I know exactly what you are feeling. i was training in the police academy here in Ohio and got body slammed to the mat by a training partner who I should not have trusted..(eh, comes with the territory right?) I struck the back of my head on the mat which was about 1" and on a concrete floor. Needless to say, I saw a flash of light and immediately rolled up to kick some butt...but found i was unsteady and feeling "not right."

I had the instructors check my eyes (they were fine) so I continued to train the rest of the day with some groundfighting and other defensive tactics. (Mistake one. I probably reconcussed myself a dozen times..ok not literally but i know i compounded my issue)

I also went home, went to bed and came back for more the next day (Mistake two) ended up in the hospital but also with normal CT scans and MRI. told I had a minor Traumatic brain injury and whiplash. I graduated the academy in February but now I had to take off work for 6 weeks as I am feeling the same symptoms as you.

Some ideas for you that I did: I did go see an Ear Nose and Throat doctor, but at this point for you as well as it was for me, those tests may show normal as well...damage may have been done but healed (as was my case). But i think you are on the right track as far as having that checked out.

Legally, I have not a lot of advice, since I had to sign a waiver when I entered the Academy...I am sure you had to sign one as well (goes without saying, right?)

I wear earplugs when I go anywhere public, which helps filter the noise and overstimulation a bit. Break out your Oakleys indoors, they are great help with the flourescent lights.

as many people will tell you, each brain injury is different with its own set of symptoms and setbacks, and i only have a very limited experience which is why i am giving you a little personal background.

Since you shared that you are in the Army, I feel a tad safe in saying that you, like me, will want to push yourself. (and i do believe there is a time and a place to begin slowly NOT resting , although after 4 months, I am not there yet!) It sounds as though that they are allowing you time to heal, which is good.

What worked for me, other than slowly making my way through threads (Mark in Idaho is a valuable resource...among others i cant spell correctly, but you will know) was something that goes against my very nature. REST...it sounds like you have begun that already. Realize that setbacks are normal, I too, when reintigrating myself, feel awful sometimes. Just listen to your body and realize when you have done too much. Easier said than done I know.

you will also be more fatigued; I cant even run like i used to ...something to do with bloodflow to the brain...but small walks help...even if it is down the street two houses and back. I still hope to take my physical test for OPOTA but I only have til August...i can't walk a mile and a half anymore let alone run it...so we will see.

I hope that wasn't discouraging to you...everyone is different. I have heard from others in their posts that they have heard of people waking up one day and being fine, while others take months or years. Just be kind to yourself.

I hope my long winded rambling has helped. and I hope that you got even just one helpful thing from it...even if it is the knowledge that you are not alone, and not crazy and not a wuss for being injured. (I felt that way)

Please keep me posted on your recovery...

-K-.
Dolfinwolf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
greenfrog (05-02-2012)