View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I don't know how the Army works... but civilians' jobs are protected for 12 weeks when something like this happens through something called FMLA. (The Family Medical Leave Act)

Basically, it says a person has 12 weeks to get better, or nurse their family member back to health. One can work 24 weeks, part time, to get better, or take 12 weeks off completely. One can take the 12 weeks off any way that is beneficial for one to get better.

I was lucky, my employer waited for over a year for me to return to work. And it's almost been a year since I started working again and I'm still only working part time.

Everyone's situation is going to be different.

You should discuss it with your Dr. and then with the HR department, or your Senior Officer. Like I said, I don't know how the Army works, but maybe your Dr. does, since I assume your Dr. is provided to you through the Army and probably has some experience with this. I don't even know if you are covered by FMLA, but I would hope that someone serving our country would have better coverage and protection than the average citizen, so I'm hopeful that there's something in place to help you through this while your job is protected.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote