View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi jinga,

Have you talked with your PCP or Neuro about getting some speech therapy? Or going to see a therapist? Either of those treatments, or both, might help you to improve.

A lot of people have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep when recovering from a tbi. I'm one of them. There are a lot of pointers out there you can find by googling something like "how to get a good night's sleep".

Off the top of my head, I recall a few tips:

-Waking up at the same time every day will help.
-Exercise should help.
-Not doing anything but sleeping and having sex in your bed and bedroom is supposed to help too.
-Meditation is supposed to help.
-Not doing anything super stimulating right before going to bed, like watching a suspense thriller is recommended.
-Don't drink caffeine after 12p or 2p as YMMV.
-Getting out of bed and doing something else when you have insomnia is a good idea. ie: Don't lay in bed for hours when trying to go to sleep. ie: Try to fall asleep for 30 minutes and then go read (or sit) in your living room for a while if you have trouble falling asleep, and then go try to fall asleep again.

Also, I don't have a lot of advice as far as dealing with your insurance company or workplace. My HMO denied giving me any neuropsych testing but approved speech therapy up the wazoo... I hope you have a good attorney - maybe they can help you get the treatments you want/need.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote