View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

"Getting out of bed and doing something else when you have insomnia is a good idea. ie: Don't lay in bed for hours when trying to go to sleep. ie: Try to fall asleep for 30 minutes and then go read (or sit) in your living room for a while if you have trouble falling asleep, and then go try to fall asleep again."

I know this last suggestion is common advice (and may be good advice for most people), but for some reason it hasn't worked well for me. My brain seems happier when I stay in bed and eventually (sometimes after quite a while) go back to sleep. Conversely, if I get up and read and then go back to bed after 30 or 60 or 90 mins, I tend to feel worse when I get up in the morning. It's almost as though my brain "knows" that my sleep has been disrupted and responds accordingly.

I now try to stay in bed throughout the night, even if I'm awake for a while here and there. Over time my insomnia has lessened and I'm now sleeping better (although this may be the result of my doing better generally as much as this habit).

Other things that I think have helped: a consistent sleep routine (in bed around 10:15 or 10:30 every night, same time as my partner), dark room, fairly cool temp, quiet (slight background noise from the fridge), comfortable bed.
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote