View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am so sorry to know about your hurting. One of the values of this forum is when someone talks about a specific symptom and another has it, we completely and deeply understand what we are talking about.

My skin sensitivity came up so suddenly. I just woke up with the severe itchiness all over my body, mostly in my legs and arms (with no rashes or anything). In fact, it was the first major symptom that I experienced. At that time (a little over 6 months ago), I thought it was a reaction to Plaquenil, which at that time I was taking. The rheumatologist told me to stop it and take Benadryl. After two weeks, the itchiness did not improve. My primary care physician gave me Vistaril (which is stronger than Benadryl). It did not help me either, instead, the itchiness turned into pain. It was like a sensation of "pins and needles". It was deep and stabbing pins and needles. Last winter was very difficult for me because of having to wear thick clothes (and it was my first winter with the PN symptoms so I was adjusting!!!).

My burning sensation has now been significantly reduced. I still feel it once in a while but I could live with it. What is very very challenging is coping with this hypersensitive skin and of course the painful feet. I dont experience that feeling of "weights" in my skin. According to my doctor, the pain will reach a plateau. He has been encouraging me to try Lyrica, but I think I prefer Gabapentin. They both have unpleasant side effects, but given our pain, we have to bite the bullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne C. View Post
I am on 1800mg gabapentin and am currently taking about 3 325/5 oxycodone daily in two doses to try and get through this. That is double my usual usage of 1 or 2 per day. I am still in considerable pain and unable to carry out my usual responsibilities which include teaching part time. This has come up so suddenly I am hoping it goes away like it came.
For those of you who are experiencing this, and the burning in my hips and thighs is awful, did it happen slowly or all at once? Has anyone had the symptoms subside? The gabapentin was controlling the burning and zaps in my feet and legs quite well. Should I ask for Tramadol rather than a stronger oxycodone? My doctor has encouraged me to try the Butrans patch before. At this point I would take anything not to be able to feel my pajama pants laying like a 30 pound housecat on my lap.
I am also experiencing some burning sensation in my shoulders and upper arms, not nearly as severe. If i put on a sweater or jacket it feels like it weighs a ton.Does this sound familiar?
I would appreciate any advice.

I am fascinated by your mention of the suede sofa bothering you. We just got a new microfiber reclining loveseat which has a faux suede finish. My symptoms date from eerily close to its arrival. Is there any possibility that the upholstery is causing this? The symptoms are consistent with my CMT, but the sudden onset is not.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Susanne C. (05-03-2012)