View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Definitely avoid caffeine, it's a stimulant and can overstimulate the healing brain significantly. Also avoid alcohol and MSG and processed foods, like sugar as much as possible. (BUt I think you already mentioned that you'r doing that.

There have been studies that suggest taking BCAA's can help a concussed brain heal faster.

Some of us here like to take Acetyl L Carnitine to help reduce fatigue.

Since you are a programmer, you might call some of our remedies "hacks" since we don't really have anything proper and official in terms of a recovery regimen.

Every brain injury is different, so every brain will react differently to supplements and pharmaceuticals. It's a lot of trial and error and trying to do it with an impaired brain can sometimes just be overwhelming.

Avoid the TV for a while, since you already know that's a trigger. You should probably avoid video games and the radio too. Basically, the stuff that's edited with quick cuts,
bright colors and lots of fast-paced music is probably going to overwhelm your brain faster than something like a slow-paced, home improvement show.

You might try doing some crossword puzzles to help keep you busy and give your brain some therapy. Once you get that, I'm struggling too much, it's probably a sign that your brain needs more rest.

I totally understand your worry about losing your job. You have to try to take it in stride. I'm sorry to say that there's no predicting how long it will take you to heal. Sometimes people just wake up one morning all better, and sometimes it takes people months. Remember that worrying creates toxins in your brain that isn't beneficial for the healing process. And that doesn't mean you should worry about worrying. Just try to remember to stay as calm as possible as much as possible. Maybe schedule a cranio-sacral massage to help you achieve emotional balance or speak to a therapist - I got one to help me deal with my recovery and she's been a life-saver for me!

I had a lot of fear about losing my job too. Mostly because I really love my job and they're hard to come by in my field. (Generally speaking, I'm an audio engineer.) Anyway, I'm still worried sometimes that I'll lose my job. But I try to remember to deal with things as they happen and not before they happen. "Don't buy trouble for more than it's worth." Right?

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. I know how hard it can be.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinwolf (05-05-2012)