View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

sifonearth,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

MomandSon had some good comments. Rest and ice are about all you can do at this time. Try some ice on his neck up high. Often, the impact messes up the upper neck and that causes the head aches. If he is tender to pressure at the boney parts behind his ears, he has an upper neck injury too. Ice it regularly.

The CT is just to rule out a brain bleed. They are a waste of money if there are not neurological symptoms present but docs do them to reassure moms.

Tylenol and aspirin combined can provide very good head ache relief. If he is an average size 13 year old (100 pounds or more) he can probably take 650 mgs of Tylenol and 650 mgs of aspirin at the same time. ( 2 x 325 mgs) or even 1 1/2 500 mgs Tylenol and aspirin. He should take a break from the Tylenol every few days if he is taking over 2500 mgs per day of Tylenol. It can be rough on the liver at long term higher doses. I doubt he will get near such a high dose.

You need to have a good strong talk with him about future head impacts. At his age up to reaching 20 or so, his brain will likely be very sensitive to impacts after this concussion. He can jeopardize his academics with a second concussion.

Let us know how else we can help. As MomandSon said, there is lots of good help here.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
sifonearth (05-04-2012)