View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Problems After Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHollyInAz View Post
Hello All
I became a member in April of '07 as soon as I found out I had a colloid cyst and had it removed. The tumor was removed 100% and all was well. Then about a month later I started getting the headache again that I had before the surgery. After suffering with it for about a half a day I called the surgeon and they sent me back to the ER. Once there (or should I say 7 hours later!) I got a new CT scan and lo and behold! Where the tumor had been removed built up so much scar tissue during healing that it sealed off the ventricle again! So, I now have a permanent shunt in the brain.
Now, I was never told this was a possibility and only after it happened was I told it "sometimes" happens. Has anyone else ever had this happen? What are the pro's and con's of having the permanent shunt? Please, I would love to hear from all that have a brain shunt and the experiences, both good and bad, that I may expect! I do know the shunt surgery was by far worse than the original tumor removal as far as the pain level and the healing is going. I am just curious though if I will be able to see this tubing running down my neck and chest for the rest of my life, what happens if I get in an accident and damage this tubing? Will the back of my head always feel like there is a huge wad of something underneath my skin? Please, please help!
Thanks so much!
Dear Miss Holly,
My husband had a colloid cyst removed last Oct. after the surgery he felt great. He began to go to the gym, and he was getting back to his old self. He always had alot of energy, and liked to do alot of things.

About a month after surgery he began to lose his energy again, could hardly get up off the couch to go to work. After he got off work he was right back lying down on the couch again. Now the headaches have started again, and he had a spell of passing out. I got him to the ER where they did a CT Scan and they said it was normal, but he says he feels like he did before.

Is this the same symptoms you had before they had to place the shunt???
My name is Alicia, I would really like to know, we have an appt. with the surgeon next friday.....Thank You, Alicia
amichalski is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote