View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Frown 14 year old son just diagnosed with PCS

My name is Lisa. My 14 year old son was just diagnosed with PCS this past Monday. He has lost his short term memory, cognition and focus. Suffers from severe headaches, ringing in ears, left arm trembles and has lost his sense of taste. He has played football on a try-out team for 7 years (since he was 7). I was told football caused his PCS. Neuro doctor thinks he suffered a bad concussion last October. My son never told me. All I remember is he came off the field one night after practice grabbing his head and crying and vomitting. I asked him if he needed to got the hospital and he said no, he just had the flu. He told his Neuro doc that he did get seveal helmet to helmet hits that night and had a headache, was dizzy and vomitted for 5 days. He never told me any of this when it was happening and continued to practice and play his football games. Does anyone else know of a kid this young with PCS and how do I help him through it? He is normally a straight A student but is currently failing all his classes. He gets everything wrong and can't remember anything he reads. He is now on home hospital and has a teacher come to our house to teach him. The doctor said he should quit football but he doesn't want to. How do I convince him it isn't a good idea. He is a little freaked out that Junior Seau died as a result of PCS 2 days after my son was diagnosed.

I am so upset about all of this. He also has other issues to but not related to PCS that we are trying to figure out. He walks with a limp and all his joints hurt.

Thanks for your help.
lccoon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote