View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Magnesium

Delta force,

Hello. I just joined this group and saw your message. It's been over a month so you may already have your answers! I tried taking magnesium for migraines a few years back. Didn't see much change after a year or so, and I stopped taking it. Recently I read "The Magnesium Solution for Migraines" by Jay Cohen, and it got me interested in trying it again. He talks about how different types of magnesium are absorbed differently, and advises to take the chelated form of magnesium, such as magnesium citrate, glycinate or malate. After some research, I ordered "Doctor's Best" brand high absorption 100% Chelated magnesium on Amazon. This brand had many positive reviews on Amazon, including a few migraine sufferers. I have only been taking it for a week now, not sure if it will help or not. But since I did used to take the cheap stuff, I figured it's work another shot. Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaforce View Post
Hello folks,

I am a ulcerative colitis patient with a serious migraine issue. The only thing that helps as an abortive is a NSAID like Ibuprofen, Neproxen etc. But they lead to GI discomfort that mimics ulcerative colitis flare and I end up with Prednisone course.

I am trying all different possible options for controlling migraine but no avail so far. Verapamil 240mg a day has reduced frequency from every 3rd day to 2X-3X a month but when there is a migraine attack, a whole day or two are wasted.

Tried butterbur extract for 5 months with no avail.

Now, I am on the way to give Magnesium a try (as ulcerative colitis patients as well migraneuers are known to have low serum Mg). I read through a previous megathread on Magnesium and learned a lot but the thread is old and few links were dead so here I am to ask SPECIFICALLY
If you are taking Magnesium supplements for migraine,
- What form do you take?
- A link to the product you are using.
- How long did it take to see any effect
- If you discontinued as you didn't see any results, how many months did you take Mg supplements?
- Any other supplement needed along with Mg? (Read about Ca supplementation but no evidence to be found)

Don't want to sound arrogant, at the same time, I don't want any more explanation (unless asked) as megathread covered majority of essential stuff on it (although migraine wasn't an indication discussed) and I would like this thread to be very specific to the question.

Many thanks in advance.
Blue October is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote