Thread: Spinal Fusion??
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 05:14 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygardener View Post
Last night for the first time I had the muscle spasms in the back of both legs. I was raking a lot in the yard yesterday (Aren't we supposed to get some exercize?). Maybe that was the result.
Yes, we're suposed to get some exercise, but in moderation.

Quote:
... Also there is this strange neuro loop where you actually feel more pain if you become dependent on the narcotic pain medications. I do not understand this phenomenon well but it is good to try to get a grasp of it to help yourself.

I also have SOMA, .... Also the SOMA used to help but not so much anymore. I have no idea why.
It's possible to become tolerant of, and/or dependent on, SOMA and/or Clonazepam too; it could be the same effect you've just described. It's also possible that you're experiencing a rebound effect of one, or a combination, of your meds.

Quote:
The rebound effect, or rebound phenomenon, is the tendency of some medications, in sudden discontinuation, to cause a return of the symptoms it relieved, and that, to a degree stronger than they were before treatment first began.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebound_effect
Several of the symptoms you've described could be ascribed to medication rebound or dependence.

Dependence, in and of itself, is not necessarily bad, and is not restricted to pain medications. It's a tradeoff for the lessening of suffering and improvement in quality of life for many people with chronic conditions.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
skygardener (05-28-2012)