View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Lisa,

I am a mother of an 8 year old boy with PCS so I can relate to you. First of all, Mark always has very helpful suggestions and is very knowledgable. All his points are great ones. I am thankful to him and many other members offering support. You have come to the right place!

As a mother it is tough to see your child suffer. It's important to stay strong for him and support him through this difficult time. I found myself breaking down at night worrying about my son but would wake up in the morning and just give him lots of love and support and stay positive for the future. It takes a lot of patience and its a long tough road. The hardest part is not knowing when they will get better but in time they do.

In addition to this place, I found support from my husband and friends. Its important to let your son's friends know about what he is going through. Most people don't really understand PCS if they haven't gone through it. PCS can be isolating because it limits you with your usual activities. My son is lucky to have great friends that come over for short visits to see him and hang out.

Communicating with his school is also important. Our school has been so supportive and he only does the really necessary work. I do realize though that it's a lot tougher with the wrk load of a high school student. But this will take some stress off your son.

Our lifestyle has changed and we've had to cancel vacations and not attend certain parties/functions because the noise and overstimulation was just too much for my son to handle. Once i understood this is a long term thing, i just accepted it and adjusted our lifestyle. My son's recovery is our family's number one priority. We have Two other young kids and i make sure they feel special too-its what us mother's do! I'm just glad i can be here for my son to help him.

These past three months have been filled with pain and disappointments for my son as he was taken out of hockey, lacrosse, baseball and soccer. But on the positive side, as he has been improving at the three month mark, he got back into golfing which he really loves. For a sports kid, it's a great sport for him to play that is non contact sport.

Just one question, has your son been struggling through school since October and going full time? When did the tutor start? My son has been out of school too with a tutor at home but he is going to start going back for two hours a day, mainly just to listen and be around the other kids. We'll see how he does but still continue with the tutor

Sometimes it's nice to know you are not alone. Keep us posted on your son.

Kristy
MomandSon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote