View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark,

Thank you for the input. I appreciate the explanation for the CT scan - I really wanted to know what they were looking for and couldn't seem to get a straight answer. It can be very frustrating trying to figure out what is necessary and what is pointless.

I have already told him how important it is for him to be more careful. I want him to be healthy and active, and I don't want him to be afraid, but even so
we had a discussion how the circumstances that led to his injury could have been avoided. It was weird, too, because he's not the type of kid that would usually wrestle with other kids for fun. I guess it was a case of him going along with the crowd. I am extremely concerned about long-term or future damage because unfortunately this is not the first time he's taken a foot to the face. As you advised, I will have a discussion about future head impacts.

I am also very grateful for the advice on the Tylenol and the possible neck injury. He actually does have a stiff neck and the pediatrician said it was almost like whiplash, probably from the initial impact.

I have been frugal with the Tylenol, too, since it doesn't seem to do much for him. I have been giving him 2 500mg pills at a time (he is actually larger than the average 13 year old, I think, at 5'6" and 150 lbs) but only twice a day. Yesterday we tried Advil instead, 400mg at a time and that seemed to give him a little more relief than the Tylenol, but again it was only once in late morning and once before bed.

Again, thank you thank you for everything! When I wrote the initial post, I was sitting up late at night, feeling very lost and worried. It is nice to have people to talk to that have been through this.

Sif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
sifonearth,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

MomandSon had some good comments. Rest and ice are about all you can do at this time. Try some ice on his neck up high. Often, the impact messes up the upper neck and that causes the head aches. If he is tender to pressure at the boney parts behind his ears, he has an upper neck injury too. Ice it regularly.

The CT is just to rule out a brain bleed. They are a waste of money if there are not neurological symptoms present but docs do them to reassure moms.

Tylenol and aspirin combined can provide very good head ache relief. If he is an average size 13 year old (100 pounds or more) he can probably take 650 mgs of Tylenol and 650 mgs of aspirin at the same time. ( 2 x 325 mgs) or even 1 1/2 500 mgs Tylenol and aspirin. He should take a break from the Tylenol every few days if he is taking over 2500 mgs per day of Tylenol. It can be rough on the liver at long term higher doses. I doubt he will get near such a high dose.

You need to have a good strong talk with him about future head impacts. At his age up to reaching 20 or so, his brain will likely be very sensitive to impacts after this concussion. He can jeopardize his academics with a second concussion.

Let us know how else we can help. As MomandSon said, there is lots of good help here.

My best to you.
sifonearth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote