View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

The PT is the one that was doing rib mob right away?
Are they doing pain/sx relieving modalities too.
maybe the rib mob and other things + still working 40 hrs a week?? -is too much?

Or PT is just too aggressive for what you need right now?

Sometimes they "have" to show ( boss/manager/Ins) that they are "fixing" you in a certain time frame vs doing what YOU need for optimal recovery.
If that seems to be the case, that PT is too aggressive and/or set in a time frame plan, ask about that, and/or go find another PT place.

Do they ask/evaluate you each time you come in - how you are feeling and make any changes to the plan??
If not, they are not going to work out for you, that's how I see it.

The good places /PTs I saw always asked at the start of session how i was doing ,pain /sx level etc.
then If any increase they focused on ultrasound/massage/heat = pain relief . Nothing else, stretches/or any strengthening stuff was backed off.
That's how good PT should be done IMO.

I hate to say this but....
I will say that I had NO improvement while still working , kept getting worse slowly, even very light modified work (4x 10 hr days too).
But most of the jobs they found/made for me were still hand use and same postures as before only no speed requirement, but I still striped to accomplish the little jobs, I just can't sit around and not do anything when getting paid,,.. and I don't think that was the idea..

My dh employer would have the injured guys sit in an office , full pay, and not have to do anything, to keep them from having to claiming time off work wc monies.

I found my old post that explains part of what happens when working & trying to recover-

[If you are working or still using your hands/arms etc quite a bit it will take even longer to see results.

Sharon Butler explains it with a health bank account analogy -

(you are starting out at zero if your pain/symptoms are high).

you go to PT & rest, so you gain say, 100 dollars in your account { I mean good PT - specific for what helps you to feel better}
but if you drive to work and work and drive home you have to deduct 75 from that account - subtract even more $$ if you hurt more than before you went to work...
plus you would subtract $$ for any other uses that you did between PT /resting etc..

this is just a simple version of her analogy

- but it really made sense to me when I was having PT & still working
and why I wasn't gaining much by way of improvement at the time - but of course my doc, wc and employer didn't take that into consideration.... that some will need time the off to see good results with PT.

All I was doing at that time was going to work, PT sessions and then resting at home with ice/heat on my arms and doing the gentle stretches. My dx at the time was basically RSIs. I didn't know much about TOS til later. LOL if I knew then what I know now... ]
Sharon Butler articles -
http://www.selfcare4rsi.com/rsi-articles.html

So basically you can end up in the hole with $0 dollars in your "use" account then things only do get worse IMO.

When I was working while injured, I basically came home and iced/heat & totally rested, did nothing, actually I couldn't even use my hands for awhile they just stopped working for a short time, pretty bad in the bathroom situations....not much of a life at all for a few months and I still got taken off work as I was not improving..

I hope this doesn't freak you out , but just FYI as how bad it can get.
But I did recover and no surgery but it took a lot of time and luck & self care.
Prayed a lot too..

I would really look at and decide if this PT/place is helping you at all..

I don't know if there are lots of massage , bodyworkers, therapists, PTs or maybe even a chiro or osteopath?? in your area? to choose from maybe try another place?
I'm near a city of 80,000 so many of those places to choose from.