View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 02:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
I had transaxillary left rib resection about two weeks ago and I have developed pain and hypersensitivity/tenderness which seems to be centered at the elbow/cubital tunnel. Pain is radiating from the elbow to the wrist and pinkie. The problem is most apparent when I wake up in the morning (or the middle of the night) as well as at night as the day progresses. I feel better during the day after I've showered.

I spoke to my neurologist and he believes this is positional ulnar neuropathy. I've been sleeping on my right side with a pillow tucked under my left arm with elbow bent and hand near my face holding the pillow. Sleeping with a bent elbow likes this can stretch/stress the nerve at the cubital tunnel. Having ulnar nerve compression at the brachial plexus (or in my case, recent neurolysis and residual neural inflammation) can predispose us to this occurrence. His advice is to avoid sleeping with elbow bent extremely and the issue should resolve over time.

I'm going to try sleeping in pocketed boxer shorts with my hand in the pocket to avoid the bent elbow while sleep.We'll see how the next couple of days go.
[/B]

Thanks for sharing, my elbow pain is getting slowly better as I try to sleep with my arms very slightly bent and my hands resting more on my lower abdomen instead of the chest( I used to sleep like a mummy). Basically arms are more at a 122 degree to 135 degree angle, just like the post cubital surgery braces help you do. Your boxer shorts pockets are a great idea!

Good luck to all of us with elbow pain! It should get better with time. Jo Mar's elbow pain got better with time, I beleive? We have hope..
stos2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote