View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I don't quite understand your situation. You said you had chemo as a child and it caused this but did it cause the neuropathy right away or just now that you're an adult? If it started long ago then has it gotten worse or have you run out of coping mechanisms? And if it just started, why is it affecting you now?

The answers to those questions are pretty important if you're contemplating disability. I receive Social Security Disability and was approved quickily BUT I have a slew of diagnoses and health problems and it all started about 15 years before I applied and was awarded benefits.

In other words, I had been sick for a while, I received lots of medical care, I tried all sorts of new treatments, I changed careers, I went back to school, and I kept working until I was totally out of options and my health situation became dire. I'm not kidding when I say that staying alive and functioning is pretty much my full-time job now -- I have to see a lot of doctors and I take a lot of medications and have a lot of procedures and surgeries.

Quite honestly, that's what it takes to be approved expediently. You need a substantial medical record documenting the disabling condition and its deterioration and that you are regularly seen and treated. You also have to show that you've tried your dangedest to keep working and you simply can't work, even with treatment.

I have Lupus with an overlap of scleroderma and Crohn's Disease and degenerative disk disease on the side. I have neuropathy in my hands and feet, mostly from the scleroderma, and I find that amitriptylene helps quite a bit. It sure does make you sleepy so I take it at bedtime when I'm on it.
Teatime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote