View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 05:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default A perhaps not so brief introduction

Hello everyone. My name is Joe. From what I have seen this looks like a very friendly/helpful site. I wish I found it months ago.
I am a 49 year old electrician. I am married 26 years and have 4 sons. This past November I fell and fractured my skull. There was a concushion and a subarachnid brain bleed.
I have what I call snapshot memory of the first two weeks. Almost like having 2-3 five second video clips of a two week movie. After that there was hallucinations. Also a migrain headache that lasted roughly 2 months. Thank God the medication took care of the migrain because I have never felt pain like that. I was using incorrect words and not realizing I was making mistakes. Also shortly after stopping the migrain medicine I noticed a numbness going down the inside of both arms and down to my hands. Almost like an electric shock. It is not all the time and only lasts a few seconds but I assume is from the whiplash I had from banging my head.
My neurologist recommended I have a neuro psych. evaluation which was O.K. and lasted about 7 hours total including the interview. Now I am in cognitive therapy which started I guess two months ago at 3 days a week and has weened down to one day a week of group and one day of functional. Each day is five hours.
Before I started therapy I thought I was great and couldn't wait to get to work and wondered if therapy was even necessary. Now a couple months into it I can't believe how much trouble I have in some areas and not in others.
My main problem area seems to be executive function. This would be my organizational skills. I also had problems with recreating an image with blocks.
Right now the therapists feel , as well as myself and family, it would be unsafe form me to return to work and I have applied for ssdi.

Well enough said. I hope to "meet" you all.
Joeyy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote