Thread: scs problems
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply Rea.
I was also questioning about the amount of scar tissue on the dura. Scar tissue can do some funky things. I try to lead as active life as possible so everything does get bumped and jarred a little.
I was also thinking it might have something to so with at therapy that I'm to increase the bodies efficiency through different movements. This has loosened up my back muscles and increased mobility throughout my chest and spinal column. Maybe that moved the electrode around enough to cause this.

This battery will be 4 years old in August. The good thing about this battery is the it is rechargeable and is supposed to last for another 6 years. As you probably know, the less you use your scs the longer it'll last. When it was working I would have it running 14 hrs or more a day. With a regular battery the best I got was 2.5 years and was told the battery life was 5 years.

Thank you for the reply and the idea. I'll let you know what happens when something happens.

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrae View Post
Welcome!

I'm sorry to hear you are faced with this perplexing situation.
I wish I had a good clear answer for you, but I'm scratching my head as well.
I'm glad to know your unit has brought you good relief for these past 9 yrs (I suffer CRPS in both legs also)
The only only thing that comes to mind is the way scar tissue can play dirty tricks on us. I'm wondering if more scar tissue has formed since you had the broken electrode replaced over 2 yrs ago.

Here's a quote from our friend Jackie as she shared what her Dr told her Re: scar tissue:

I told him I thought the 'intensitiy' of the SCS has waned. His explanation of this was that scar tissue encases the leads over time, insulating them, which can lead to a reduced feeling with the stim. This is why we have to be reprogrammed at various times to get 'past' this insulation

If it 'is' scar tissue, it would only take a very small mili-mili-milimeter (wasn't too bright in math ) of movement to cause stimulation to head in another direction. Just a 'theory' I'm pulling from thin air.....
But one would think that since your electrode was replaced that long ago, scar tissue should be done forming and changing. (?)

I hope they will be able to uncover the source of this - soon. It must be maddening to feel the stim up into your head. Please stick around and let us know what happens. It's great to have you here!

Caring,
Rae

PS: Just wondered how long your batteries lasted before you had to change them out. I'm going on year 3 and hoping I still have a few yrs left in the ol' battery.
pat_h is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Ananimity (05-07-2012), eva5667faliure (05-07-2012), Mark56 (05-07-2012), Rrae (05-07-2012), Sophie_ (05-07-2012)