View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Well, 600mg of ALA is not as effective as the newer form that is now available. R-lipoic acid stabilized.. at 100mg a day will be a better test to see if it can work for you. Taken once a day on an empty stomach--- Doctor's Best Brand. (not all formulas are the new highly absorbable form).

You also need to look at your vitamin tests, and see if B12 is over 400 (in US units). Lab ranges in US have not changed to reflect new information on low B12. Many drugs can interfere with B12 too. So this is important. Don't accept "normal" as 200 is NOT normal.

It is possible you have something wrong in the ganglia along your spine, and these were stimulated by the PT. I had a massage once that set off my shingles in my neck. (I had them down my right arm many years ago). The massage was nice at the time but the next day I was in agony!

The dorsal root ganglia can be damaged by viruses, or chemicals, and in some people never heal up properly. This is a genetic thing, and there are now some researchers looking at using stem cells to correct this problem. But that is still experimental.

There are many drugs that can cause neuropathy. One family of drugs called fluoroquinolones are very very common. A simple infection, treated with these can then lead to PN for some people. The PN follows the use of Cipro, Levaquin or Avelox and can be for life.
Also statins for cholesterol can cause neuropathy.
Here is a post on that:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread122889.html

You might want to cruise the subforum above and read about all the things that posters here have collected about this topic.
Just do a bit a day, as it can see overwhelming.
Thank you for your reply and information. My B12 was 774 in April and 710 last June.

I have problems with many antibiotics so the only ones I can take are Cipro or Levaquin. I took them twice recently - prior to root canals for absesses. Plus in the past for UTI's and other infections. If their use is what is causing this (and with the suddeness) there is nothing I can do now.

Same goes for the 40 mg. of statins I take (pravachol). I could stop but with a strong family history of heart disease and without any way of knowing for sure taking them is the cause - doctors wouldn't know either - it would be risky.

I had a massage last summer and it felt good but the next day I have leg pain, back pain, stinging sensations, etc.. lots of stuff going on - none of it good. And it lasted quite a while, too.

Navigation these forums is time consuming, but from what I have gathered so far, except for some very obvious medical conditions (like diabetes or B12 deficiency) - doctors don't know what causes this and there is very little in the way of treatment that is effective. Total relief doesn't seem possible.

Thanks, again.
grandma123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote