View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Post extraction problem

My dentist extracted the root tips of #12 (that was all that was left after it fractured) and said I didn't need stitches. The night of the extraction I was in such pain, I couldn't put the ice up to my face because the boney area above the tooth extraction site hurt so bad. For the whole week following the extraction, not only did I have pain, but also the worst burning in my nose and throat. Every time I would use my tongue to close the whole, the burning in my nose would stop. The swelling subsided within 3-4 days but the pain didn't get better. I returned to the dentist 1 week later because it hurt so bad. The dentist on call told me the tooth was not healing and she believed I had a dry socket, but said was very odd, because upper teeth don't usually get dry sockets. She packed it with some white strips that hurt really bad, but fell out as soon as I got home because I didn't have stitches. I returned 2 days later and my regular dentist said he believed the problem was because I was allergic to most antibiotics and the erythromycin he put me on was not the first choice for dental procedures, but put me on another week of them. I finished the antibiotics 3 days ago, and now I have a red bubble over the extraction site. Its only sore when I prod at it with my tongue, but I do have a weird burning in my gums and cheek back by the joint, like they are raw.

I have an appointment next Monday to go back to the dentist. They said if it doesn't hurt really bad, they are not too concerned about it, but I am. I don't think it is normal to have a red bubble on an extraction site almost 3 weeks later. And also I still have some burning in my sinuses and if I poke hard enough with my tongue, the pain goes into my throat. I had #5 removed a few months ago with an abscess, and had no problems afterwards. I'm wondering if this is an infection and if so, why haven't the antibiotics helped? Hopefully I can get some answers, because this is really making me feel like I'm losing my mind. Thanks!
Jessiangel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote