View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 07:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
All you can do now, at this point, is aid healing...if it is possible.

Sometimes it is possible, other times not (dorsal root ganglia damage).

GNC tends to be quite expensive. But you can get it anywhere you want. I get mine from Puritan's Pride. But I don't use it every day, and only when I get burning which is less often.

Acetyl carnitine also helps with exercise tolerance and may reduce lactic acid build up in muscle with use (lactic acid comes from glucose as a fuel). The body builders use huge doses of it for this purpose.

But for older people it can help take a load off the glucose being burned in the mitochondria. Carnitine helps with using fatty acids instead. So if you get muscle burning with your symptoms the carnitine can help. The price of acetyl carnitine is coming down, but at GNC most things are way overpriced IMO.

I'd start at 250mg to 500mg a day, and increase up to 2 grams if needed. I find 250mg a day enough for me most days and I am just a bit older than you. When I was working out alot I used 1 gram a day. I change doses depending on my exertion levels.

This is mostly for people with suspected damage to the mitochondria. It is rather benign, so is not harmful in any way.
You seem to know a lot about medications that hurt and help.

Have you ever heard of astaxanthin? Dr. Mercola, D.O. has promoted it 3 times on Dr. Oz's show. Supposedly it is 550 times stronger than vitamin E, 800 times stronger than CoQ10 and 6000 stronger than vitamin C. It is a powerful antioxidant and he recommends it be taken at 12 mg per day for 4-6 weeks and then reduced to 4 mg daily. Next to vitamin D, he says everyone should take this, particularly baby boomers. His website is mercola.com.
grandma123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote