View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine95 View Post
I was thrilled to see that my daughter was enjoying such science experiments in the third grade. Those hands on, highly visual lessons last a lifetime.
Living proof of that right here! (Junior Science Geek ) My 3rd (or 4th?) grade class had a hurricane machine in the classroom (built by some parent/science teacher, I presume; I've never seen another like it). It was a glassed-in cabinet ~2' x 2' x 4'h, with a lightbulb in the top and a pizza pan at the bottom. The idea was to fill the pizza pan with salt water (representing the ocean) and by heating it up via the lightbulb (representing the Sun), a small vortex (Coriolis Effect and EVERYTHING!) was created inside the cabinet. It was barely perceptable, so they introduced a small amount of smoke (lit cigarette - it was the '60s - Don't smoke, kids - this is SCIENCE!) to make it more visible. They could really get that little thing crankin'. Of course as soon as anyone opened the door to the cabinet, it disturbed the delicate balance and the small-scale hurricane went POOF!

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (05-08-2012), fionab (05-15-2012), Mark56 (05-08-2012), Rrae (05-08-2012)