View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post

Lightrail, I am curious about your Trailmaking test scores. What were your times and what was the evaluation of those times?
Hi Mark. The first time (still in hospital, 2 months post-accident):

"The patient completed part A in 34 seconds with 0 errors. The patient had significantly more difficulty in part B, eventually completed in 187 seconds with 1 error. Patient was proceeding slowly but once he made an error he had a difficult time finding his place and had to essentially go back to the beginning and work his way through in a much slower fashion.”

Evaluation (including the other tests): “Patient shows significant difficulties with visuospatial learning, recall, mental flexibility, abstract reasoning, and problem solving. Patient is not ready to return to work at this time. Patient should not drive given difficulties with mental flexibility/multitasking.”

The second evaluation 3 months later:

“The patient completed part A in 25 seconds with no errors; part B in 48 seconds with no errors (high average).

Evaluation: “Patient demonstrated intact cognition in all domains. He has shown an excellent recovery from his severe injury only five months ago. From a cognitive standpoint there are no concerns with the patient returning to work or driving”.

BTW in Essentials of Neuropsychological Assessment (2nd Ed, Hebben, Williams, 2009), for the interview portion of the evaluation currently the normal protocol is stated to include the spouse or close family member/caretaker.
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.

Last edited by Lightrail11; 05-08-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote