View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Allergic reaction to different lab's generic neurontin?

For the past two weeks I have been suffering from a sudden escalation in my symptoms. I usually have pain in my legs and feet, also hands and arms, muscle weakness, extensive numbness, difficulty in going up steps, etc. all very manageable and predictable. Lately though, I have full body burning symptoms, as if I were badly sunburned. Sitting, lying down, most clothing, anything in contact with my skin hurts like crazy. My oxycodone barely touches it. I was beginning to think that ths was the new normal. It is definitely a nerve type of pain and gets worse as the day goes on. My quality of life has deteriorated severely.
I went to the doctor to report the symptoms and ask for an increase in my pain meds. When I mentioned that the sunburned feeling dates from a change in the manufacturer of my gabapentin, my doctor said that could easily be the cause- an allergic reaction to something in the new meds, as apart from the active ingredient, the compounds could be very different and contain something which set off this reaction.
He insisted that I refill immediately at the old pharmacy with the previous brand. I am really hopeful that it is this simple, but the pharmacist seemed skeptical. My doctor seemed very convinced, however.

Has anyone had an experience like this? Mrs. D., is this even possible?
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote