View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 08:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My story so far.....

I am currently working on a diagnosis for symptoms that have been going on for some time, but I have blamed them on other conditions or getting older.
I have had disturbances with muscles and nerves for about 12 or more years and problems with muscle fatigue. For the past three or so years I have had the problem that while I was in the middle of talking, I just gave out of breath, and if I continued to talk, I would be hoarse and my throat muscles would ache. I have also had a droopy eyelid that was more problematic when I was very tired. I have had a complete thyroidectomy due to a multinodular goiter. I have had ups and downs with my thyroid condition and blamed a lot of my weakness and the eye droop on that. I have had multiple cases of bronchitis over the years that always make me very weak and ill. Not until I started having the episodes of seemingly being too tired to breathe did I start putting things together and wondering if I had something like MG. And these episodes would come on for no reason. Did not have to be doing anything. In fact, standing in a stationary position, such as waiting in line at the store seemed to be more difficult than walking along. The only thing I can figure is that different muscles are taking their turn while you are walking, but you are using the same muscles continually to stand. Just my take on things.
I finally ended up going to the ER one evening with the breathing thing in late March of this year. I had never had it so severe that it scared me like this. What really scared me this time is that I was also having extreme heart palpitations, so much so that I was too weak and shaky to walk. I was seen by an electrocardiologist in the hospital and he confirmed that I had an arrhythmia. I don't know if this is something coincidental or is related to my other symptoms.
I was also seen by a pulmonologist, and tested and I do have some lung damage, but not severe enough to cause inability to breathe. I have more difficulty breathing out than breathing in. She referred me to a neuromuscular doctor who with physical exam alone suggested that I had MG. He did the EMG and the single nerve fiber test and told me I had nerve damage that was more of a weakness of the muscles. He ordered bloodwork, which has not come back yet. So in the meantime, I am trying to learn all I can about this disease. Any help or pointer would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like I lucked up on finding a good neurologist right off the bat.
limpy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bipedal Primate (04-10-2014)