Thread: New here - PCS?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

NorOnt,

As EsthersDoll said, you should get this in your medical record. More important is getting a legal record started of your cognitive, memory and fatigue difficulties. You may have a long recovery. Nobody can predict how long your recovery will take. If you have long term symptoms or even some permanent symptoms, you want to get started understanding them.

There are lots of skills you can learn to help you deal with your struggles.

You should get started on brain healthy nutrition. You need to avoid caffeine, alcohol, MSG, artificial sweeteners (aspartame is the worst) and high sugar foods. A B-12 supplement (500 to 1000 mcgs daily) plus a B-50 complex, Omega's, magnesium, calcium, and a few others that my damaged brain can not remember.

You also need to focus on getting good rest and quiet. You should not be pushing at school. Your brain needs rest. You will be better able to catch up later than you can today just trying to keep up.

I know your struggles at school. I went from a strong A average to fighting just to get a B much less an A. I started college as an honor student and came close to failing two classes for the first time in my life.

Why do you think the doctor will prescribe an anti-depressant?

Regarding your neck. Soft tissue damage is much harder to heal than a broken bone, though a cervical vertebra can be a very dangerous break. Soft tissue is just starting to stabilize at 6 weeks where a bone is often at full strength at 6 weeks.

As far as being diagnosed with a concussion, unless you complain about concussion symptoms (severe nausea and frequent vomiting, severe dizziness and headaches are serious concussion symptoms), the doctors often just treat the obvious injuries like your nose and knee.

You are fortunate that with your severe symptoms you did not end up in the ER with a more serious condition. You need to be far more cautious about head impacts in the future. Any symptoms like you experienced could be the start of a brain bleed or over-pressure due to a loss of blood pressure regulation.

You will likely be more susceptible to a concussion from now on so understanding to seek a medical opinion will be important.

Enough for now. Others will have more to say.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinwolf (05-12-2012), EsthersDoll (05-09-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (05-09-2012)